Looking for a healthier version of a classic comfort food? Mr. Magic makes the best Eggplant Lasagna! It’s soooooo stinkin’ tasty (and I don’t feel so guilty having seconds-haha!)
Follow the recipe below or watch Mr. Magic make it live on Facebook!
Feel free to pin this recipe so you can come back to it later!
Mr. Magic’s Eggplant Lasagna
Best Eggplant Lasagna and easy alternative to the traditional Italian lasagna dish.
- 9 x13 pan for lasagna
- 2 LBS. Italian sausage (you can use Turkey Sausage as a healthier option)
- 4 -5 small carrots diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 Red pepper diced
- 1 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms diced
- 1 handful of fresh chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- 1 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 25 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2 lbs. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz olive oil
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice the eggplant. Lengthwise for more traditional, Mr. Magic prefers round for easier cutting.
- Brush both sides of the sliced eggplants and bake in a 350 degree oven until they turn a nice shade of brown. The thinner the slices the easier they burn so keep an eye on them.
- Once browned remove from the oven and set aside. (Don’t turn the oven off.)
- Mix 1 egg, ricotta cheese and 1 oz Italian seasoning together and set aside for later.
- In a large skillet brown the 2 lbs of Italian sausage. (Once cooked thoroughly remove the sausage but keep the renderings (oil)).
- Add the mix of diced veggies and garlic to the skillet and cook over med-high heat.
- If the mix is too dry add the olive oil.
- Add the remaining Italian seasoning.
- Saute for 5-10 mins until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced mushrooms and chopped spinach sauteing for another 5-7 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover the bottom of the lasagna pan with a thin coating of pasta sauce.
- In a large bowl add the Italian sausage, remaining pasta sauce and the veggie mix.
- Stir until all ingredients are well coated with sauce (Note: If the mix has too much moisture add the parmesan cheese to absorb.)
- Layer the eggplant covering the bottom of the lasagna dish but not overlapping each other.
- Spoon a layer of the meat and veggie mix.
- Spread the ricotta and egg mix.
- Cover thoroughly with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 14-17 until the desired layers of lasagna are achieved or you run out of mix.
- Cover with a nice layer of mozzarella cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 for about 30 min or until the cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Remove foil and bake for 10-15 min until the cheese is a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15-20 min before attempting to cut.
- Enjoy 🙂
Note: In the Facebook Live, he made half a recipe and adjusted accordingly.