My husband has been making this chicken, wild rice and mushroom soup recipe for years and years. It is everything for mushroom lovers! We’ve had an incredible winter this year with more snow than the last three years COMBINED. Soup is very nostalgic for me. It reminds me of growing up in the winters of Iowa, being at home cozy with my family and it reminds me of my grandparents.
Jason doesn’t eat this soup! He doesn’t like mushrooms. He makes this soup for me because I am obsessed. Side Note: I could eat soup every day of the week, even in the summer. Just ask Jason!!!
Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Chicken Soup
- 1 box Rice-A-Roni Long Grain Wild Rice
- 4 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms (We suggest 1 baby Bella and 1 white)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cut chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 pint half and half
- Make one box of rice following directions on box. Do not overcook.
- While rice is cooking, sauté sliced mushrooms in salted butter for 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion and celery. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour slowly to the mushroom mixture to thicken it. Turn heat to medium.
- Gradually add chicken stock to make a roux.
- Cut up a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. Add chicken to the mix.
- Add rice.
- Add one pint of half and half. Do not boil.
Live Cooking: Wild Rice, Mushroom and Chicken Soup
Jason and I made the soup together recently because the recipe is going to be published in a magazine. It’s simple, tasty and you can make it in mere minutes!
And just for fun… here’s a cute pic of Miss Ari helping with the dishes 🙂
Save this on Pinterest!