I have always been a “people pleaser”.
I like peace and I dislike confrontation.
I want everyone happy, happy, happy.
Well the Lord started showing me a few years ago that while all of those peacemaking traits are wonderful….I was also suffering from “fear of man”.
I think many people don’t even recognize what “fear of man” looks like. So, I came up with some examples. Do you:
- ask many people for their advice before making decisions?
- not give your opinion, even when asked for it, because you don’t want to upset anyone?
- make decisions to keep peace at any cost even when you are really upset on the inside?
- keep your faith under wraps, quiet, to yourself ?
- have a hard time saying no when you are already way too busy?
- let many things slide that are very hurtful to you just because you don’t want to have uncomfortable conversations?
- feel like an emotional punching bag or dumping spot for others?
- feel like you are going to absolutely throw up when you know you have to confront someone?
All of those things were me. On the DISC personality profile test….I am a strong “S”…. a peace lover.
Today, I am still a peace lover, but I have come a LONG way in the last few years. Jesus called us to be peacemakers, but not doormats.
I am learning to ignore a lot my feelings because feelings aren’t always truth. If I listened to my feelings, I would eat M&M’s all day, buy every pretty thing I saw, never do the laundry and never try anything new out of FEAR.
Fear of man will paralyze you. It will keep you stuck.
Know this: fear is a liar.
Having trust in the Lord is what frees us.
Begin that journey today!